The oldest bus on the premises is a Guy Arab II, registration CCX 801. Chassis number FD27925, with L27/26R bodywork by Roe. The bus was new in 1945, and received the current body in 1953. It ran in service until 1968. Restoration has progressed rather slowly, but recently some "stocktaking" has been done, and the chassis and framework tested and found to be structurally sound. Work has been restarted during 2010. In 2013 the bus was moved over the pit in the museum and work is continuing at a slightly brisker pace.
At the bottom of this page are some photos of the bus in service. Apologies for the poor quality. The colour photo was taken on 18th July 2010 by Richard Hall (using Andrew Beever's camera) and, as you can see, it is a rather long-term project....
ABOVE: In 1945, as delivered.
BELOW: In 1953, after receiving a new body.
BELOW: In 1951, after repainting in the new livery.
Chassis – Guy Arab II, Chassis No. FD27925
Body – Roe L27/26R (re-bodied in 1953)
Click on the above image to see more photographs of CCX801